HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Concept archer 99% letoff!
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Concept archer 99% letoff!

Bad comparison Arthur. You are comparing competitive sports to hunting, it's just not the same thing. The whole goal of those games are to see who is better, it is a competition. It also supports team work, but anymore it's not like that. It's usually one or two guys carrying the team and hogging all the glory. Of course this is to be expected of competitive people. And I don't consider hunting to be a sport either.

I don't go out into the woods and hunt to prove I am better than you are, or I can take more or bigger deer than someone else. It's not a competition between hunters. It might be a competition with yourself at some level, but it shouldn't be between hunters. That's why pope and young and stuff like that have rules, to help make it more even between those that want to enter animals. I could care less about that stuff, so it doesn't matter to me. I hunt for me, not to prove a point or be noticed. And if I want to do it as hard as I can, or as easy as is legally possible is up to me, not another individule.

And if you think looking down upon and ragging on those that don't do things exactly the way you do is being a good embassador you should look the word up. And who says those that hunt all season don't invest time and effort into it , or practice and have good ethics. I know you didn't mean any of this personally at me, but it effects me, so I take it personally. I fit in the group you are saying are lazy and don't have any ethics. That's a pretty big insult to me. I practice year round and study. And I am also very concerned with the game I hunt and the repercusions of going about it half ass.

And I do take short cuts at times. Like use a range finder and a more effecient bow. That's because I'm little and I don't think I judge yardarge that well yet. Would it be more ethical for me to go out in the woods and guess about whether I can hit a deer at a certain range and pray if I hit it that I can kill it with my weak set up. I don't think so. I think it's better that I do what needs to be done to get the job done right and ensure a clean kill on what I am hunting. Like knowing what my equipment will do at what range and making sure I don't shoot beyond that limit. I do the same with my gun. I shoot rifles year round as well and know where my bullet will hit at what range. Not what a ballistics chart says it will do, but where it will actually hit. If I don't have the room or capabilities to test it, I don't shoot at game that way.

I could argue that hunting with traditional equipment is unethical because it's harder to take game and easier to miss and wound animals. How about all the new lazy hunters get together and make it so you can't use that arcane outdated stuff because it's not humane? And the people that use them are too ignorant and stubborn to change with the times and use something that works better. You don't think other sports have employed more technical things into thier game? Like better shoes, bats, balls and training techniques.

Doesn't sound very good does it. And where would that get us in the long run? That's not personally how I feel by the way, but that's what it makes me feel like when I hear the stuff you are saying. Like there is no room in hunting for people like me and we should just sell our stuff and quit because we are lazy and suck.

And don't take any of this personal Arthur, I like you. You just happened to bring up something that hits a nerve with me on a day when I didn't feel like listening to it anymore.

I do know what you are talking about and how you feel though. I have the same feelings, though not the the same degree, about DVD players. I am very into home theatre and have had a DVD player since around the time they came out to the general public. Then the players cost a bit of money and required some set up and learning to use them correctly. Aslo that you had the proper equipment to hook them up to. I was thrilled when they first started renting DVD's. Not many people had the players and it was easy to get a movie I wanted when it came out. And because those that had the players were adults that had spent the time and money to aquire the technology respected it and took care of the discs. Now with the dvd players as low as 50 bucks and that freakin play station II that plays them came out every dumb ass and 12 year old kid has one! When the disc you do want is in, it's either scratched or covered with fingerprints and peanut butter so bad it won't play, or you don't want to put it in your player. However without the interest in it the technology wouldn't be as good as it is right now.

You feel the same way about hunting. Now that it has been made easier and is more popular there a more idiots doing it. Life sucks I guess. Some people in golf don't care for Tiger Woods either because he is bringing a different crowd to the sport and they feel it will be ruined for them.

And this will be the last post I make on it. Before someone says something they don't mean or a moderator has to step in. I have sort of taken this post off course and I apologize for it.

Paul