HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do YOU REALLY practice Quality Deer Management????
Old 02-27-2002, 02:12 PM
NorthJeff
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do YOU REALLY practice Quality Deer Management????

True QDM as desribed by Buck Fever? How about true QDM desribed by the QDMA. Sorry if I'm harping on this, but there is only 1 QDMA, everything else is a fake, or a futile attempt for the justification of a Trophy Management indeavor.

How can this be about the money? If anything hunters will be lost over this, not gained. That's the reason we still have baiting in MI. The right thing to do is get rid of it, but it is estimated the loss of gun-hunters could be close to 300,000. I say so what, but I think the state likes those extra license sales.

That is why Alt is so bold. He realizes that the management of the deer herd can be sued for and taken away by special interest groups, if it can be proven that the current regulations are detrimental to the herd. So at the seemingly bewilderment of some hunting groups, Alt is standing up and doing the right thing, regardless of a loss in license sales.

I do beleive that a temporary drop in license sale will be followed by long-term increases, due to increased support and respect, following future hunting seasons and harvest results.

I actually have enjoyed seeing deer in the Aleghany National Forest at 400+ yards in a browse-free woods due to extreme populations. I've never seen deer that far in the woods-even went out and bought a high-power scope so I could see what they are. What a difference though if the population comes in line and the woods are filled with thickets, saplings, and clearcuts-without fences.

And yes, even though I've only been hunting and visiting PA for 9 years, I've still seen deer starving(actually already frozen to death), in northern PA. I found 5 frozen stiff in a clearing, evidently caught out in a storm, and torn apart from coyotes-what a sight.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan