HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Winter Peas
Thread: Winter Peas
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Russ otten

Default RE: Winter Peas

Austrian Winter Peas are a good crop for the warmer climates, nad worked quite well for me. They will stand up to a little cold weather and really flourish in the spring. My crop last year made it thru some cold weather, even some snow, with a few temps around the low 20's. They need some protection when first planted as deer will pull them up by the roots when very small. I used a white plastic bag fence on a stout string and in 2-3 weeks were able to hold their own. They were only about 6 inches when spring broke, and they took off, reaching 2-3 feet in height. But with nothing to climb on, they mostly trailes over t he ground. Some of the deer even bedded in them during the night, they didn't have to go far for a snack.
I'm going to plant Buck Forage oats in that spot this coming week to take advantage of the nitrogen they left in the soil. As they are a legume, fertilize them the same as clover, they don't need the Nitrogen. They really worked the bushog when I mowed them, and they generated a lot of mulch to be turned under. If your temp. stays above the single digits, you could have a good crop.

Russ