HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - LBRs Bowfishin Pics
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 07:25 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: LBRs Bowfishin Pics

Honestly, we feed them to the gators. These are all termed "junk fish" under the MS game regs--not many people even try to eat them. I'm gonna' try a gar if we get back to the truck in time, or if I can remember to bring some ice. Heard a recipie once for cookin carp. Get a big pot of boiling water, some onions, taters, carrots, and a 2' long 2x4. Tie the carp to the board, put it all in the pot, and boil for 15 minutes. Take the pot off the fire, take the fish off the board, throw the fish away and eat the board. They do make good fertilizer for the garden--Dan's sister buried the big one in hers--should be a fine stand of 'maters there next year. Not legal to shoot game fish in MS--have to pass on bass, crappie, walleye, etc.

We are just population control--they are of no value to the fishermen, and I reckon they all breed like crazy. Did see how to get the meat from a gar without getting all the bones on a Muzzy bowfishin video, but a fellow I talked to just today tried eating gar once and said it was pretty nasty. I'll eat turtle, even stingray, but Good Lord willin' I won't ever get so hungry that I'll eat a drum or buffalo. It's basically like huntin pararie dogs or coyotes, just on the water.

Chad