HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - longbow & recurve question
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 07:27 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: longbow & recurve question

Does a 55# Longbow feel the same as a Recurve being pulled at 55#.
There is no answer to that question. Again, it depends on the design of individual bows. A bow's limbs can be designed to give different draw cycles. Some bows load up a lot of their draw weight up front in the draw. Some are designed so the draw is loaded up on the back end of the draw. Some have a pretty constant increase throughout their draw cycle.

Any bow that has a draw cycle that's front loaded will feel smoother to me than one that's designed with a back load. Some people are probably just the opposite.

A straight limbed longbow usually has a constant draw while recurves generally have a front loaded feel due to the recurves straightening out at the back end of the draw. A reflex deflex longbow has more of a recurve feel.

I wish I could say, "Yes, a recurve is smoother to draw than a longbow." Problem is, it could be true about one particular recurve compared to one particular longbow, but it would definitely not be true across the board. I've drawn some longbows that felt so smooth it was like wiping your arse with silk. I've had some recurves that felt like I'd replaced the silk with a corncob.

All I can say for sure is, a longbow and a recurve, both made to draw 55 pounds at 28" will both draw 55 pounds at 28".