HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need a little help please... I am a new hunter
Old 08-29-2004, 09:37 PM
RustyOlRanger4x4
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need a little help please... I am a new hunter

ORIGINAL: Air Force Ammo Troop

Hello I am a little new to hunting and would like to ask a few simple questions. I haven't hunted in about 11 years and I can't remember many things my father taught me because I was reall young. I remember deer tracks, rubs, ruts and most of the simple things... but cannot remember some important things, I will list them and any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Human scent removal... I only remember him saying that you want to be clean and not use smelly shampoo's and soap's.

2. Stand placement... I can scout pretty well but I have no idea how close to place a stand... I have found a trail that the deer use to get to their feeding plot. I would like to hunt there but I have no idea how close is too close for my stand... it is a ladder stand if that helps.

3. Smoking and such while hunting... I smoke like a freight train and I can probably go about 2 hours without one at the most. Should I not smoke while hunting ??

Thanks alot... and any other tips would be great... I am hunting at Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana.
Welcome to the board its full of information and informative people.
#1. Scent removal go to a local hunting store or walmart theres a million things there to was I use a kit I bought at walmart its hunterspecialties I believe it is soap, shampoo, and detergent for you hunting clothes I think it was less then $20 but it works just fine but theres a ton of options and if you wanna drop some cash get a scent lok suit but there pretty expensive I just spray my regular old hunting clothes with Carbon blast which came from walmart to and it works just fine you just spray it on all your clothes.
#2 depends gun or bow? and how thick are the woods? Personally id say 20yds. if its clear enough which is close enough for a gun or bow. but its all just personal judgement some people just about sit on the trail some ill go back till they can barley see he trail anymore but personally I like to be about 20yds.
#3 Smoke smells and deer will smell it and im sure it`ll be in your clothes so when you get out of the truck spray your self with the carbon blast ot keep your clothes in a scent proof bag and dont put them on till you get to the woods because deer have an amazing sence of smell And just sit in your stand as long as you can with out smokeing I have friends who smoke while they sit and im sure it scares of some deer but they also manage to shoot deer to so id say just smoke as little as possible. And is dipping an option? it may be better then smokeing in the stand the regular stuff(non flavored) dosent put off much smell and you can spit in a sealed container so maby that can be an option for you?