HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Boresighting a muzzleloader??
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 02:40 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Boresighting a muzzleloader??

careful with that sight filing Bruce. What shoots right with one type of projectile like a powerbelt might be totally different with round ball. Make sure you get the groups nice and tight. And decide on what you want to shoot.

You probably want some .490 roundball for you .50 caliber and they sell pre-lubed patches. Some of the major brands are Ox-Yoke, Thompson Center, Knight, there are many brands out there and I am sure Gander Mountain carries them.

You can also do it the old fashon way (and I think still the best). Get a yard of 100% cotton pillow tick material (I use the blue stripe) at Wal Mart and a tube of bore butter. You wash the cloth first. Then tear it into 2 inch strips. Smear some bore butter into the material and seat the ball just under the muzzle of the barrel. Then take a scissors and trim off the extra material. Then finish seating the ball like normal. You always get a perfect centered patch that way.

The spent patch will tell you a lot about how the rifle is acting.... look for a few patches as you shoot and check them. Glad to hear the rifle shoots so well already...