HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - maxi hunters....
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 05:32 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: maxi hunters....

well i went shooting.....sighted it in at 13yards(read if its dead on there it will be real close at 50 or somewhere like that i need to read it again)...first 2 shots touched....but low...higehr my sights and put it right where it needed to be.....ran the target out to 60ish(was 50 but couldnt see it because of the hay so i had to back off to a bit higher ground) and was hitting just low...didnt shoot a group because i didnt have a "target" i was shooting an old board i found with a dot on it i made with a marker.......i was on my buddys farm...usually we can scrounge up a box or something.....but i couldnt this time....i found an old coffee can and put it on a stick at 60ish and was nailing it every time....so i can hit a deer that far in the vitals....next time ill goto the REAL range and shoot paper....shoot groups and set up a deer sillouetee target up to build my confidance......i am really impressed at the holes they make.....i could put my thumb through the coffee can hole....i was shooting the bottom so there was no exit.....and the holes in the board were big......i think they will make a nice deer bullet.....and probably lay them flat or leave them with 2 big ole holes for the blood to pour out of.....another time or 2 at the range and ill be all set for october.....aobut them being loose i didnt have that problem....i heard a few guys having that....and tumbling because of gas blow by......i didnt have either........i have a nice tight bore......i couldnt get a second powerbelt down without cleaning....thats why i switched this year.....i only ran a patch through a few times...i shot 12 times.......i think i cleaned every 4 or so shots.......and didnt really NEED to....they are kinda hard to start but once started they slide right on down.....cant wait for october doe season.....im going to start scouting in september and have stands up by the middle of the month....so they will be up for a month or so before season....and ill leave them up for rifle and flintlock season.....man my shoulder aches.....350grs of lead packs a little more punch then the roundballs i shot all year....the power belts didnt even hurt this bad.....a brass buttplate dont help i dont guess.....but i like it.....its a fun gun to shot.....cant wait to get hunting again!