HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Food Plot Help in TEXAS
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 04:04 PM
texasaggiebowhunter
Fork Horn

Default RE: Food Plot Help in TEXAS

ORIGINAL: etw

Hey texasaggiebowhunter: You said you started some clover about 5 years ago..."Once it dries out and goes to seed in the late spring I shred it and spred the seed around. Since it is an annual...About every other year I have innoculated with bradyrhizobium to help with N fixation". Questions: How do you gather the seed? Is it possible to just mix the innoculant with water and spray it on the mowed clover? (after its brown and gone to seed I mow in September)
I gathered it on the side of the road. Really I did. I wanted crimson clover and I couldnt find any to buy. Now you can buy it and its really really expensive. So I took a paper grocery sack saw some growing on the side of the road and filled it up. I cut the heads off of the clover just after maturity before the seed were so fragile that they would fall out of the seed head.
To begin innoculation you mix the inoculant with the seed. In later times its best to put the inoculum into the soil, however its difficult to do without plowing up the plants. So I mix up a batch adn spray it over the top. I have heard of some that was a powder that you can spread. You dont have to innoculate that frequently but I like to since this is my type of thing. I like to see how many nodules I can get a plant to load up with. Youll probably mow the clover about this time of year. Right now is when its hot and the plants are drying out. Your pretty much putting the seed out right now, and it will lay over til fall.