HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CVA Hunterbolt 209 vs. New Buckhorn 209 ?'s
Old 08-18-2004, 01:27 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Hunterbolt 209 vs. New Buckhorn 209 ?'s

Right, the striker is part of the bolt itself. When you pull the trigger it is under spring tension and slams forward hitting the 209 primer. No firing pin to jam, gum up or break. Also the safety is real secure because you lock the striker, and the gun can not fire.

Actually my Knight Wolverine II and my T/C Black Diamond XR works on the same principle. There is no firing pin to worry about.

My CVA Staghorn Magnum is a very accurate rifle. I have shot excellent groups at 100 yards with the open sights using powerbelts and hornady 300 grain XTP's. It also shoots REAL conicals rather well with 90 grains of Goex FFg.

Your choice of .50 caliber is a wise move. There is better bullet selection at this time. They are easier to find in stores and on line better deals. Also when you shoot a .50 caliber you are putting a 1/2 inch hole through what you shoot. Face it, a 1/2 hole through the heart and lungs is going to stop the animal. Also the .50 caliber will shoot just as far as a .45 caliber. The only difference is the .45 might shoot a little flatter. Som of the posts I have read claim the .45 can be hard to find the right load with. I have not owned or shot one so I have no opinion on those that state this. If I were not going to shoot over 100 yards, I would get as big a caliber as possible. That's why I am going to use a .62 or .58 caliber besides the inlines....