HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CVA Hunterbolt 209 vs. New Buckhorn 209 ?'s
Old 08-18-2004, 11:44 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Hunterbolt 209 vs. New Buckhorn 209 ?'s

The missing two inches in barrel length will probably never be noticed if shooting 100 yards and under. The Buckhorn acts on a slide striker action. As you said, it is easier to clean, and it comes apart much like my CVA Staghorn which it replaced.

I would personally choose the Buckhorn over the Hunterbolt. The Buckborn generally costs less although there are some great deals out there right now on rifles. I would choose a .50 caliber and load powerbelts for now. Start them at 80 grains and work up in 5 grain amounts of Pyrodex RS or Goex FFg. If shooting Triple Se7en powder remember, it is 15% stronger then Pyrodex in loose form. There pellets are equal in strength. Although after checking the prices of pellets and loose powders at Wal Mart today, I will stick with my Goex....

Depending on what you can spend for a rifle, check out the H&R Sidekick which is on sale on line for $159.95, at Bass Pro Shops. Bass Pro Shop Sporting Goods. I have read some great things about this rifle. And with the break open design it should be a pleasure to cap and to clean....

If you want a .45 caliber inline, they have some great deals on CVA Stahorn Magnums at Midway USA but you better act fast. At $69.95 they are not going to last long...

Good Luck with your rifles.