HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - field points to broadheads
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 10:53 AM
CBM SC

Default RE: field points to broadheads

Well........I'm not the expert......and still learning a lot myself !! [8D]

Someone else can probably fill you in on the disadvantages of heating carbon arrows(even heat transferred throught the ferrule) ........much better than myself ! But I know via all these guys,shop owners,etc. that heat weakens the carbon.........I I doubt you would be able to tell at all ! What I would be worried about is that end cracking or something later......after hitting targets or just the stress of the shot !

Also .........if you watched him glue your inserts......did he heat up a glue stick or did you see him mix a 2 part epoxy.......or use something out of a bottle/tube etc. ??? Reason I am asking........is I have seen lazy people at some shops before use hot melt for carbon and all the sudden you start losing inserts like crazy in targets ! Also I personally have had arrows made up.......where the guy just used a quick set fletching bond on my inserts .......naturally......most came out over time [:@]..........but I didn't know back then [&o] !!!

You can make your own spin tester (do a search......there was a thread recently) or buy one ! I bought one from Cabelas for like $25 or something ! You basically just lay your arrow on it and spin it...........checking to see if you have a wobble on the nock end or insert end ! If your arrows don't spin perfect.......they are going to give you varying results when you shoot broadheads (making it nearly impossible to tune your bow to shoot a group) !

Your correct.........archery doesn't come with a magic handbook.......and it can get frustrating ! Do yourself a favor and ask all the questions you can ........read whatever you can........educate yourself as much as possible !!