HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 100 GOOD QUESTIONS THAT WILL TAKE ALOT OF THOUGHT (2cd question)
Old 08-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Hoopy

Default 100 GOOD QUESTIONS THAT WILL TAKE ALOT OF THOUGHT (2cd question)

Okay I see my first question made alot of people take thier "scent control" clothing back for a refund, let's dig into a new question.
All over this site on the forum, I see everyone say things like
"If it's a 4 pointer (6 pointer, whatever point) let it walk so it'll be bigger next year."
Okay hmmm, well the problem with that is, deer lose thier antlers every year.
You can have a 10 year old deer with 4 points and a yearling buck with a full rack.
I often wonder why people say "Dont shoot that deer, let it go for next year when it has more points."
I don't hunt for trophys, if one happens to come along thats fine, but I dont go out of my way.
Antler growth is dependant upon the deer's diet and general health, nothing else.
That deer rack crap you buy at wally world, that special potion you buy out of a magazine that suppossedley will "grow the big ones" is utter and total bs.
Recently at WalMart I saw a "minieral add on" for a salt block. You see, you take the salt block and put it in the ground and pour this powder on it, and then pour water on it and presto ! It foams up and then hardens like a thick caramel !
Now, on the package it SAYS that it increases Antler size and WIDTH !! (new one to me !)
Heres the funny thing, whenst I called up the manufacturer asking what chemicals were in it, so as to not posion my family, I was informed the magical powder is nothing more then DRIED HONEY.
It's a chemical reaction when water is reintroduced to it.
I'm not the fool paying $19.95 for it, maybe you or one of your friends will be.
Read all the above twice, then think to yourself, "Let the little 4 pointer walk so I can get it next year with a huge rack? Or kill it now so I can get what I came out here for, some food."