HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 100 GOOD questions that will take ALOT of thought. (Good for Newbs and seasoned people)
Old 08-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Hoopy

Default 100 GOOD questions that will take ALOT of thought. (Good for Newbs and seasoned people)

Been awhile since I have posted here, but let's get right to it.
First we will tackle scent control as it seems to be a big topic.
If you are a "magazine" hunter, one of the things you already have is scent control everything, from underwear to socks, Im half expecting them to come out with cigarette scent control cigarrettes soon.
But lets REALLY look at what it means to have "scent control"
I'll start out with a comment and this is what I believe now after reading what people here have said, people out in the field have said, as well as magazine articles.
"Unless you have a airtight rubber "condom" on you tied at the end, you are not "scent proof" or anywhere close to it and you are wasting your money on buying "scent control" items."
Okay so here we go, you have your scent lock boots, cap, gloves, underwear, everything scent lock.
Your feeling pretty good about it, nothing can smell you, and you even have your handy dandy spray that smells like leaves.
You get out of your truck and dress in your clothing that you pull from your scent lock lined bag.

Whoa there mister, you didnt remember that you spilled a taco on your seat 2 weeks ago and cleaned it up, and thought it to be gone even though, it's really not..
You didnt remmeber last summer fixing the engine and getting engine oil on your stick shift, which now even though microscopically is on your hands and SMELLS.
Oh geezus your feet stink, but its a good thing you used your anti athletes foot spray this morning.
So you get out of the truck it's early in the morning and as you sip your coffee you let one rip.
brrzzzzzzzzzzpppppppppp...
MAN WHAT A FART IT REAKS !!!
All your buds and you laugh, its a real stinker, from this morning of the coffee, eggs, and bacon you ate.
You trudge up the path, knowing that you are "scent controlled"
About a mile later you are at your treestand, but geez, you gotta leek !!!
Of course, you have your "scent lock" urinal handy, so you whip it out and do your business.
Of course, as you put your glove back on you think, man it's a good thing Im not sweating that badly, and no deer can smell my privates anyway right?
You climb into your treestand and sit back for a day of hunting, the sun will rise soon and you want to be ready.
You hoist your rifle up and chamber a round, but oh crap !
You dont know it, but your rifle that you take very very good care of smells like gun oil !
Bah what's it matter by the time they smell it they will be dead.
RIGHT?
Next question in the morning.