HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new guy needs advice
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 06:45 AM
Tomster

Default RE: new guy needs advice

JP,

Cali, well that is a little far from me in PA. Anyway, hunting takes time to learn and depends on what animal you want to hunt, like deer. Finding a gun you like to shoot maybe some what easier. Many people like a 30-06, 270, 30-30, 7mm, just to name a few. I myself have a Mossberg shotgun with a rifled barrell, plus a Savage 30-06, with a Bushnell scope, 2 muzzleloaders, bow, 2 22's.

Anyway, what you want to shoot depends on what kind of budget you have to spend. Vist some local gun shops, sometimes they will have used rifles there as well. But you could be buying into someone else's problems.

I know guys that just like muzzleloaders since they are challenging and fun, plus give you more options to hunting. CA has muzzleloading season. Visit the CA Fish and Game Commission website and review what the regulations are, seasons, are, and open places to hunt, if you don't have access to private land.

It also takes time to acquire all of the things necessary to do hunting. Also, scouting prior to the season can be helpful in getting that deer. Also, what to do after you do get one, like field dressing and butchering.

Good luck....

Tom