HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new guy needs advice
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Ol Gutshot

Default RE: new guy needs advice

Yeah. Read up on the laws and visit the range often. if you live in a rifle friendly state, I suggest a .30-06. all around great round and versitile. little strong on the recoil, I suppose, but it will work on anything. Have you been invited some place or are you looking for a place to go? If you have a place to go, scout around, take inventory. Take a camera. learn how deer move through the world. Oh, and very key : learn how to field dress a deer properly! And find a place to take it for processing (self processing is rewarding but that's an advanced activity) Read hunting magazines.

The most important thing to remember. . . . wait BE SAFE. . The SECOND most imprtant thing to remember is that its not about the kill, its about the whole experience. Hunting for me loses some of its shine without my companions. Its a good way to make friends and strengthen freindships. But even so, hunting is about taking a deep breath and sucking up a little bit of nature. The shot is easy. pull the trigger bang-dead. The hunt is out smarting the rascal, being in the right place at the right time, blending in with the scenery and striking your quarry at unawares. Keep that in mind, and you're on your way. And don't get discouraged if you don't bag a monster the first time out. I'm 29, myself and I just got my best deer by far last season after hunting the same spot for 8 years! I had to watch my stinking little brother gut a 13 point monster there the ONE time I let him sit my stand! That's gut wrenching.