HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting back into the sport.
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 10:06 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: getting back into the sport.

I went to black powder many many years ago for about the same reasons. Centerfires are great rifles. I own lots of them. Actually been thinking of selling them. I have not used them in over 15 years some of them longer....

I took more pride in my first muzzleloader deer, a little 4 point buck, with my .54 caliber Renegade in a snow storm then any of the other big bucks I shot with centerfires.

I have a Black Diamond XR made by Thompson Center that I am sure could shoot 200 yards, but I never would. I like to target shoot with it because of the accuracy, but it is not my first choice at hunting time. I was looking at another flintlock rifle to purchase just last night thinking how I would really like it, then started counting the black powder guns on the wall rack and decided I really did not need another one.

This black powder shooting is a sickness of sorts. It takes a special kind of person to risk their hunt on a one shot rifle that might not even go off. Face it there were seasons where I might have only had one chance yet I never looked back hunting with the smokepoles.

I guess it is not about making meat and filling the freezer, although that is a nice benifit. I find the sport of black powder hunting and shooting rewarding in so many other ways. I will never go back to modern rifles. Maybe I do need that other flinter.....