HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting back into the sport.
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 07:22 AM
X-DiscHunter

Default getting back into the sport.

Hello all, a few years ago, I owned a Knight Disc Magnum, and a .54 calibre CVA hawkin. I sold those in hopes of purchasing an Encore rifle, but that gun was not made available to me for purchase untill a while later. Now, I want to get back into the sport, but have far less money than I did a few years ago, thanks to many other engagments. I will be trading off my last center fire rifle on somthing like an American knight or similar rifle. I do still own one centerfire, but it's in pieces and going to be my first attempt at a "custom". I have no problem limiting myself to the exlusive use of a blackpowder rifle. in fact, when I was shooting my Knight, I had the most fun shooting than I ever had before or since. It was more "Invloved" than any other form of shooting I had participated in. I like the challenge it represents, and do not really feel that much more limited than with a high power. With my .308, on a calm, perfect day, I might shoot at an animal out to 300 yards. Max. But with my Disc, I had total confidence in shooting out to 200. Does anyone else feel this way, and have gone to their blackpowder guns exclusivly? I don't have a muzzleloader season around here, it's just to put the fun back into it. I like doing things the hard way I guess. I hunt with a recurve bow also, and keep my shots under 20 yards. What are everyones thoughts on this topic? I would like to hear if anyone else uses a smokepole exclusivly. And why you chose to go that route. Have you ever regretted it? I can always buy another centerfire down the road I guess, but I miss the big puffy clouds, and sarcasim from others at the range. Have a great day.