HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Kids and bows
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 10:34 AM
daystalker
Fork Horn

Default RE: Kids and bows

i think the issue is WHAT AGE shoudl they be.. obviously you want them to understand teh saftey issues that are involved in shooting responcibly. i tought my youngest cousin at teh age of 8 he was strong enough to pull about a 20 pound compound bow back with fiberglass arrows. we shot into a hay stack with paper targets because the arrows didnt go into my 3d target. now as far as understanding saftey i wouldnt teach a 4 or 5 year old because tehy just dont have teh attention span. at least none of my cousins or nephews did! so i would say a safe age woudl be when you think they are mature enough to handle the saftey aspects.. also they have to be able to pull the string back by them selves.. it sucks trying to pull it back for them.. it just doesnt work... they like doing it on their own... i started with a BB gun in the back yard soe they got the idea of how to use sights... then progressed to bows when they were a little older. my 13y/o will be HUNUTING with me this year for teh first time. i cant wait...

enjoy what ever you deside to do!