HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - any advice
Thread: any advice
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2004, 08:51 PM
Mid Plains

Default RE: any advice

I think what you're hunting is typical of some areas here in Nebraska that I've hunted.Something to remember,is that usually the grain harvest coincides with the season so deer are getting pushed around and in Nebraska the Upland Bird season opens one week before rifle.What I've found is that the deer when pressured by these things tend to go nocturnal in their movement for the most part.Also,I've found that the bigger bucks will leave the obvious deer habitat and slink away to some unusual places.I've seen them lay in the middle of CRP fields,or some little fenceline or terrace when there was much heavier cover available.You almost have to expect the unexpected.Have you thought about developing a mock scrape area or two to try to patter the deer to a particular ambush area?Find areas that are being traveled out of your creekline perpendicular to the creek by scouting for tracks on either side once the season starts.This could give you a hint as to what the deer have changed in their travel patterns.