HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Q about maxi balls...
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 02:51 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Q about maxi balls...

Wonderwads might or might not help with the accuracy of the projectile. The best way to find out is to test the maxi balls with the wads. They act as a buffer. When I shoot Triple Se7en I find better accuracy with the wads because of the heat the powder produces. With Goex that is not a problem. I personally do not think they would help but you could try..

As for lube, if you want to use Crisco, thats fine. Just keep in mind that in hot temps and hot barrels, Crisco will start to melt. So if you were going to sit outside and shoot targets, swabbing between shots, crisco would be fine. If you were going to load it and hunt in any high temps, then you might be a little concerned. Especially if the barrel was getting hot in the sun.

For that reason I would go with a harder lube. Bore Butter is a good conical lube without a doubt. I personally make my own out of beeswax, olive oil and castor oil with a little murphys oil soap. It seems to work real good and depending on the amount of castor oil or olive oil I add, I can make the lube as stiff or soft as I want. The stiff kind does not melt even when outside sitting on a table in the sun.

Be sure and use a bore brush in the barrel after you're done to make sure you clean out all the lands and grooves in the barrel. Also watch for leading when using maxi balls if you are pushing them with high powder charges.