HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Quik Spin test.....completed!
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 08:57 PM
CG

Default Quik Spin test.....completed!

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought some of these....well being a science teacher, I had to have proof they were better than what I was using (AAE).

Well here is how the experiment was conducted. I fletched 5 arrows w/ Quik Spins and 5 arrows w/ AAE Plastifletch vanes. Both sets were fletched 1/8" (approx. ) right offset. Basically both arrows were identical (except for weight, the AAE were a few grains lighter). The bow set-up is a Mathews MQ1, 29" draw, 71 lbs w/ NAP 2000 dropaway and Scott Mongoose release. The arrows were GoldTip XT 5575 27 1/2" tipped with Magnus Snuffers 125 gr.. Arrow speed is approx. 270 fps.

Over the course of 2 days, I shot each set 20 times for a total of 100 shots w/ each vane type. All shooting was done inside at 25 yards and I alternated which set was shot first as well as alternating each arrow during some of the sessions. I then measured the distance from center (target center) for each arrow. One variable I was concerned about (besides the shooter but I don't have a Hooter Shooter in the basement ) was the Snuffers. I glued them together myself and all spun true. I selected these because IME they are the hardest to tune due to the large cutting diameter (1 5/16"). To make sure that one group didn't get a "non-straight" Snuffer for the whole test, all BH were randomly changed after each shooting session (10 shots). I also left in all "flyers" figuring that over 100 arrows for each vane that it would work itself out.

So basically, as best I could manage, there was only one control variable....the vanes. All others were (relatively) constant. Here are my results (rounded to the nearest tenth per my digital caliper):

AAE: Closest to Center=.9"
Farthest from Center=4.6"
Average=3.3"

QuikSpin: Closest to Center= .25"
Farthest from Center=5.3"
Average=2.2"

*Note that these measurements are to the outside of the arrow and I DID NOT subtract arrow diameter as you would in target (firearm) shooting.

Also these ARE NOT group sizes...they are each arrows distance from center...left, right, up, down did not matter......

You can read this data for what you want but it was very obvious to me shooting, that the Quik Spins stabalized the arrows better. There were a lot of sub 1" measurements for the QuikSpins.

PS-Don't give me too much crap for my shooting....I don't know where the 5.3" flyer came from.....