HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who else got skunked this year?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2002, 07:04 AM
cruiser
Spike

Default RE: Who else got skunked this year?

This is my third year with no tags to tear off. To make a LOOONG story, missed my one shot, 70 yds at a doe. last day of the season.
1. Black powder IS the way to go-get out before the masses, and get more oppertunities west of the blue ridge. Takes a good deal of dedication on your part-working up an acccurate load takes range time. I started with my first flintlock.
Something i learned-late season might not be so bad after all. Shure the game's been gone through, and they're spooked on public land, but the pressure' off after Christmas. I've been hunting Quantico, and the mid-week pressure is almost nil after New Years.
Learning to spot terrain to use to your advantage is something i learned this year (along with buying WARM clothing). The two best honey holes i've ever seen were valeys between steep hills opening onto food or water areas. Natural funnels the animals used as routes. ound some areas like that the last days of the season. Going back there next year.
P.S. Sports Authority and Wal Mart (maby Galyans?) seem to be running good sales roght now. good time to invest for next year.
Good luck. Email me if you might want help with the Black Powder thing.