HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - OPINIONS:WBY Vangard
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 12:24 AM
Cousinvinny

Default RE: OPINIONS:WBY Vangard

Carpmaster, I would not buy a Weatherby Rifle under any circumstances. Here is a quote from an article entitled "Rifle Lessons Learned from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter's Exam." Even though you are probably not planning a trip to Africa, this is not the kind of crap you should have to put up with when you pay the kind of money that Weatherby asks for their rifles. Here is the quote:

" I’ll start with my least favourite rifle:- the Weatherby. We don’t often see them out here, thank goodness. The one we had this year exhibited the usual Weatherby failing of going off when the safety catch was disengaged. Like all I’ve seen with this problem, they work fine on the range. It is only after they have been bounced, bumped or jolted whilst loaded and on safe that they do this. I’m sure the problem is correctable and not all do it, however, this one would also not extract at all after the eighth round. It showed decidedly sticky extraction after the first three shots and finally died on number eight. It gives me great pleasure than to dig out my 2lb hammer and beat the bolt of a new rifle open whilst giving the owner a lecture on the benefits of reloading. Weatherby factory ammo always gives extraction problems and needs to be down loaded for use in hot conditions. The .460 is notorious and this .416 proved no different."