HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fall Clover Planting
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2004, 11:46 AM
NorthJeff
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fall Clover Planting

Right now, when grasses are in a pretty aggressive growth stage is a good time to kill. In the fall when the grasses begin to turn dormant, you've missed your chance.

I talked to a guy from Imperial last weekend at the QDMA national convention and they seemed to not have a problem with adding the grains to the mix. In fact, annual rye is already added to the type of herb that is in the mixture, so a little more grain won't hurt. What is interesting about that planting is that it supposably will stay greener longer into the late season and expierences winter dormancy later than even their Imperial Whitetail clover, according to Imperial. The planting is supposed to be great for all soils, but has done very well in areas with as little as 12" of annual moisture. I have just the perfect sandy-ridge type planting I'm going to try it in. for this year....we'll see. If nothing else I'll have a good draw for hunting season with the rye and oats, and there is established clover from last year on the other 1/2.