HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Filling A daypack
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Filling A daypack

I can't even begin to tell you how long this is about to be, I almost always wear a "fanny pack" on an A-Harness I picked up at an Army surplus store:

2pair extra gloves, 2pair latex/nitrile gloves, 20mL syringe and needle+40mL vials, cover scent, scent lure, hatchet, 2 gut knives+2sharpeners, bone saw, drag lines, glow sticks, 2 flashlights+extra batteries, cell phone, maps (where needed), pliers, multitool, water (usually worn in a "Camelbak"), extra socks, 1st aid kit, beef jerky and a sugary snack, torch lighter, matches, dry tinder, fishing line and needle (instant stitches), wallet/tags, 2 pens, extra ammo (in case I have to fire for someone to find me), extra head covering, shooting sticks, extra tree climbing steps, a gear tow line (into the stand), orange ribbon/tape, blind material and pickets, and anything else I think I might just need that day....I also usually lash a small folding stool, 3legged or X-squared type, to my camelbak, so I can sit anywhere at any given moment, I wrap them in electrical tape around padding to silence any metallic scratching or clanking.

I also carry a small notebook/planner/diary to chronicle and map where and when I'm seeing deer or how the day conditions are, it's in a small pouch I sewed onto the front of the A-Harness...absolutely invaluable tool for hunting!

I know it sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't weigh that much, I'd imagine the whole kit and kaboodle weighs in around 10# with ~2L of water, the hatchet, the stool, the blind, and all the small gear, nothing really since I haul it the right way (around my hips that is)...My rifle or bow are far more cumbersome than any of my gear, unless I'm handgun hunting!!!