HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - tipping your guide
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Tim Buma
Fork Horn

Default RE: tipping your guide

For rather_be_huntin.

I can relate to your scenario. (It sounds like me.)
It's your call really.
Guides can usually pick up on who can and can't afford, so they are unlikely to be overly disgruntled if you don't make a big tip, if they know you can't afford it.
I recently hunted with a guy who screwed the hunt price down to bare minimum, and ended up having to sell stuff to complete the purchase price of his hunt, he was genuine and a passionate hunter.
I thouroughly enjoyed his companionship on the hunt.
He tipped me $200 which I knew was a big ask on his funds, I was really grateful. The biggest bonus with this guy has been his attitude and his efforts to go out of his way to be a good refferee for me.
He also helped me buy hunting gear at real good prices through sources he had access to. e.g. a Leica Rangefinder.
We've become good friends.
Sooooo money isn't everything....
What no guide likes is the hunter who arrives business class with a $5,000 rifle and $2,000 binoculars, demands the world, and talks all week about how he's blown $$$ on this that & the other, and at the end of the hunt, goes cheap on the tip and is never heard of again.
We like everyone enjoy feed-back, and it's great when a hunt turns into an ongoing friendship.