HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Entrance and Exit?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2004, 08:21 PM
JZarr
Fork Horn

Default RE: Entrance and Exit?

The only problem with rotating spots where you hunt based on wind direction is that all too often people are limited to the number of stands they have because they're limited to the size of property they hunt, or other people who hunt it. So then the choice is either hunt when the wind maybe isn't perfect, or don't hunt at all. For most of us, that isn't much of a choice. Sure it sucks, but there's not much else you can do sometimes. Personally, I have a few select stands that I don't hunt when the wind is wrong, a few that I will take a chance on, and then I have my "last resort" stands for those times when there's a really strange wind. Sure they may not be set up in ideal spots, but you never know when you're gonna get lucky and you sure as heck aren't gonna get a shot at a deer from the front seat of your truck. Unless you're a Wisconsin gun hunter that is.

As far as coming and going undetected - once again that's something I feel is very limited by stand options and the size of the property you hunt. For example, a place I hunt near my house has only one spot where I can park. I am forced to enter my hunting area at that one spot every time, unless I can find someone to drop me off elsewhere. As that is not always possible, I take extra precations to have several different paths which I use to approach my stand depending on wind direction, and which ones are most often used. If you have to go in and out the same general area each time, at least mix it up a little bit.

And like everyone else said, I try to stay on stand until all the deer are gone from the immediate vicinity but that isn't always an option. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Deer don't play by our rules cuz if they did we'd all have a lot more big boys hanging in our trophy rooms.