HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is the longest that you have shot a deer/would shoot
Old 06-16-2004, 10:34 AM
TURKEY FAN
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the longest that you have shot a deer/would shoot

Man i have taken so many robin hood shots its hard to keep up with, but there is one i will never forget. It was a moment i shared with a 9pt buck i had seen after he snuck up on me while bowhunting a small grass feild i call the football field because thats the size of it. I had taken a friend of mine to this honey hole and that was a mistake, because this kid move so much you would think he had a never ending pocket of ants. Well needless to say he is fidgeting around and out of the corner of my eye as we sit against this oak tree there he was a beautifull 9pter, well he sensed something was wrong because i already turned to my friend and told him if he moves i will leave him here in this feild forever[:@] I think he knew what i was referring to,lol. By the time i had turned my head he bounced outta sight. So the following weekend i opted to hunt the same place before opening gun season came and someone else tag my buck
With the rut winding down, i knew if he was going to look for a doe he was going to look for her in that field where they feed in the morning.
I made my way to the field that was an 45 minute walk from the truck after dropping my other friend who knows how to hunt at his deer stand. I got my seat against the same oak tree i was sitting against before, and placed my bow in my lap, patienly waiting. At 9:30 i heard the most unrealistic grunt i have ever heard i thought it was another hunter letting out a burp from under his toe nails![X(] Lol. I looked up the football field and here come at least 10 does trotting right in front of me and there he was head down grunting like a pig! All i saw was rack his g-2 was 10 inches long and it stood out like a sore thumb. As he began to get closer one of his does had spotted me and was getting nervous, he stopped 50yds out, by that time i was shaking like my friend who had the pocket full of ants and couldnt sit still, lol. I said to myself "oh well, here it goes" knowing the does would bolt as soon as they seen me move and i would only have about a second to let the arrow go and he moves his body before the arrow could get to him. I let it fly! The arrow penetrated him right in front of his ear and dropped him like nothing i have ever seen, i thought i was imagining things cause i couldnt see him anymore the grass was knee high i thought he just jumped outta that field into the woods!. I knock another arrow and began to look and there he was a perfect head shot at 50yds!! My friend couldnt beleive it, neither could the people at the check in station, i have alot of pics of it i will try to upload them for ya. Sorry so long i got carried away, lol. God Bless