HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you get in shape.
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 12:36 AM
oldrgr
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do you get in shape.

I live at sea level and hunt elk in SW Colorado above 10,000 feet. Nothing can compensate for the altitude difference except being in the best possible overall shape. It doesn't compensate for the altitude difference but you do benefit from being a bit less knackered at day's end, plus I think it helps adapt a bit quicker.

I used to teach PE in college so have applied some of those principles.
First increasing your overall physical working capacity is critical to be able to hump 7-10 miles a day at the altitudes I hunt at. I do this by a combination of strength and aerobic / anaerobic training.
Strength training conditions the major muscle groups to humping a rucksack and carrying a rifle all day long. I pay particular attention to the legs, butt and low back.

I use a circuit method of switching back and forth between upper and lower body exercises, thus rapidly forcing the blood from one end of the body to the other repeatedly. This is a very strenuous workout and should be eased into. I don't rest between sets to purposely create an oxygen debt (anaerobic training). This is a super workout for increasing heart stroke volume (amount of blood pumped per beat). It also significant strengthens the heart.

My cardio work is done using a number of different venues, running up hills, various cardio machines, etc. I primarily use interval training, i.e. pick an interval to go at a higher level of intensity followed by a rest period of lower intensity work. I work up to 45 minute sessions.

I also hike with a rucksack. I don't run with a ruck because that absolutely beats the dickens out of the lumbar vertebrae. I've had low back surgery and try to avoid high impact stuff.

I divide up my strength workouts so I do have of the muscle groups one day followed by a cardio workout then complete the cycle the next day finishing off the remaining muscle groups.

I shoot for doing four cardio sessions per seven days and two to three strength workouts in the same period. The last strength workout I don't work the legs, resting them.

I've settled into this regimen after trying several different programs.

Forcing fluids during the hunt especially at high altitudes is important. I’ve had a touch of altitude sickness a couple times, and both times I was dehydrated.

Don't try to wait until a month before the hunt to get in shape.
Regards.