HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did you get your corn in???
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 07:32 AM
PILOT
Spike

Default RE: Did you get your corn in???

Farmhunter it's funny that you mention setting up corn blinds as this is something I have been working on as well. My field is 20 acres and is bowl shaped as it follows a creek that lays on the south edge of my property. I planted corn in a 50 yard strip along the creek and this strip connects two larger plots of corn that lay on the far east and west ends of the field. One of the blocks of corn is 4 acres and the other is 3 acres. This leaves a large ten acre plot completely surrounded by corn to the East ,South and West, and timber to the North. I've planted strips of corn that run North and South leading from the timber to the main corn field along the creek. These strips were planted to divide plots of different forages and to create travel corridors. My corn blinds will be located over looking these differnent plots and located just down wind of these corn strips. To further enhance these locations I plan on bushogging a trail that will run from where the strips of corn meet the main corn field straight to the creek.Also I planted a strip of sunflower/sorghum along the creek that runs for for several hundred yards. In Sept. I plan on bushogging some of this strip to create an access trail to the different corn blinds over looking these created funnels and different food plots. Last season I was amazed at how the deer would travel these 6' bushogged trails through standing crops of beans,sunflower and especially corn.
I love to plant corn on my property it serves many purposes. It not only provides cover and food for the deer but also funnels them and hides you as you come and go to your stands.
Farmhunter I wouldn't sweat it if the deer eat up some of your soybeans as you can bushog these stripped areas and plant something green like oats or wheat in Sept. and then your blinds are over looking three different forages instead of two. Good luck!