HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My type of food plot...fairly cheap
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2004, 08:46 PM
OhioDuckHunter

Default My type of food plot...fairly cheap

This past winter, I purchased many types of feed for the wildlife. I bought several types of trial size seed mixes of which none came up this spring after sowing. Please keep in mind, I am lazy and I do not do anything to the soil prior to planting, not even breaking the soil. My place in southern Ohio is mostly clay-like soil. After filling my feeder with Purina Deerchow, oats and corn, I found some growth near the area. Come to find out, the oats that had not been consumed had started to grow. These oats were purchased from a feed store. What the heck, I thought, it is green stuff and the deer may eat it. Boy was I right. The oat patch was run ragged.
Upon seeing the results from the unintentional growth, I returned to the feed store and purchased another 200 lbs of oats.As a lazy person, I just threw the oats on the ground in various places. Again, the seed sprouted. And again, the wildlife ate it up! I received a catolog from a famoust outfitter this spring that advertised oats as a food plot seed. The cost was high for me. I purchased the oats from the feed store for about $12 a 50 lb bag.
Since my discovery, I have spread 300 lbs of oats and have found all plots showing signs of feeding. I think that those of us on a low budget could do this with pretty good success.

What do you think?