HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2004, 05:14 PM
barefoot
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 338 Mag not enough for Brown Bears

OK, Before anybody jumps down my throat, here, I am a neophite on bears. I would like to hunt them someday. I have never shot a .338, or a .375. I HAVE shot a .458 and NEVER want to do that again. What I really have is a question. Is the issue on the larger cals about recoil, impact, or what?

I asked that to lead into another cal. As far as I can tell, it is new. I'm talking about the .50 Beowolf. I read an article in a swat magazine or some such the other day. Basically, for those who don't yet know about it, it is simply a new upper receiver for an AR-15. It used the same existing clips and single stacks the cartridges. The chamber pressures are lower than the .223, the bolt speed is about the same, and the recoil is about like a 20 ga. It is accurate to 200 yards and devastating on impacy well beyond that. The ballistics are somewhere around those of a 30-30 for Velocity and drop, but the energy retention is phenomenal! The sight options are wide open. Total weight loaded is 8.8 lbs. and it IS being marketed for both police/military and recreational hunting.

If you're worried about firepower, wouldn't this fit the bill?