HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you still get pumped?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 01:20 PM
ironranger
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you still get pumped?

DEFINITELY!!! This year I had a few missed shots (hurrying the shot). The first afternoon of my late season MN hunt, at 4:25pm, I called in a gobbler that came in silent. My setup was not ideal and he came in right behind me and stood at about 10 yards behind me to my left. I just turned my head to the left slowly as I always do and out of the corner of my eye I could see something black behind me. He was slightly above me and a mound was concealing my body. I ever so slowly turned my head again and strained to see if it was a bird. I was straining so hard that my vision went double on me. I'm not kidding. My sight was all messed up and I couldn't take it anymore. I turned my head to see him and he started putting and moving away but didn't spook. He went around in a circle and then fluffed his feather (Rained most of day). I'm left handed but made the decision to try to get up on him for a shot as he was about to bolt. I switched to right handed and pulled up on him since he couldn't see my lower body. I thought I had a bead but shot too quickly and he flew up and ran off. My heart was pounding out of my chest and I've been hunting them since 1985. It was a disappointing spring in that I had opportunities but couldn't quite close the deal on a few. Managed to knock one down in WI so I'll be eating wild turkey this summer.