HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stuck Breech Plug HELP
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2004, 05:01 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Stuck Breech Plug HELP

The best breech plug grease on the market is made by CVA. I am telling you I have tried them all and it is the only one I will use now. Since I went to CVA Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease I have never had another problem.

Thompson Center Breech Plug Grease seized up on me and like Striper Phil, my plug was stuck. In fact I broke the wrench that came with the Black Diamond XR rifle trying to free it. I finally had to go to the shop and get the tool out and force it out with brute strength which I hated to do.

I have tried the Knight & T/C anti seize, and the stuff you buy at NAPA Auto store called Anti Seize Paste... they are my back up for if I should ever run out of CVA.

The important thing to remember with breech plugs is coat all the threads on the plug and do not tighten the plug into the rifle as hard as you can. I only finger tighten it in, and as you shoot it will tighten itself. Also after five shots, take your wrench and give that plug a little turn. You will feel the fact it has tightened already. I shot my CVA Staghorn Magnum today and the seize worked perfect.