HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stuck Breech Plug HELP
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2004, 04:20 AM
Striper Phil
Typical Buck

Default Stuck Breech Plug HELP

Here is the story. Last night I shot my new (first shooting) BP Traditions 2000. It has a percussion cap on the end of the breech plug with a hammer and Monnel barrel. The breech plug screws into the end of the muzzle. At the warehouse where I bought it the smithy had removed the Breech plug I think any way he played with it for a while to give instruction to some noodle brain sales person who acted as go between to give me basic instructions on how to break down the BP. So after 12 shots when I got home the Breech plug was stuck I mean with all my strength and well fitting wrenches I could only get 1/10 of a turn per try and after approximately 2 turns she locked up completely. In frustration I heated the breech and finally with a lot of hard wrenching finally got the plug out. About ½ way out it got a bit easier. I am pretty sure it was never greased. After a good cleaning I buttered the plug and it went back in with finger tightening. Is this common? Did the lack of butter cause this? Any other suggestions to stop this in the future?