HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - enough k- energy?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 08:04 AM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: enough k- energy?

DR,

My long shot that year was 15 yards. Not because I was holding off for a short shot. It's just the way it happened. However, I might add that with low KE like that I do take some things into consideration such as the broadhead. I was shooting 75gr InnerLoc heads with a cutting diameter of 1 1/16" The arrows were 316gr ACC 3-18's with 4" feathers. The bow was a GE LIghtspeed. The reason it got 237fps was because it happened to be capable of shooting bare shafts 35 yards Field points, broadheads and bare shafts all shot into a 3" bullseye at 35 yards. All I could see of the arrow was a green nock going when I did see them. Of all the deer I shot that year I never saw an arrow go, I was so intent on the aiming process.

On www.bowsite.com there is a pretty good article in the "features" section on pentration that explains a lot. Many guys think that deer are big game and they are not. You don't need a lot of energy to get passthroughs on deer unless you hit heavy bone, in which case you aren't going through most of the time anyway. Accuracy is the key. Don't hit heavy bone. Stay away from the shoulder. 3-4" behind the shoulder still results in a double lung which means "dead deer".