HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many of you still..............
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 01:40 AM
targetpuncher

Default RE: How many of you still..............

Thank you so much, driftrider, for setting me straight on all of these matters. I especially thank you for the legal counseling. Obviously, you are a great expert on what works for our society and what doesn't. Thank you as well for attempting to insult me by calling me a leftist. Whatever label
you wish to apply, so be it.
I am curious as to just who is generalizing, here. You obviously took issue with my assertion
that we are all to blame, in a sense, for the level of gun violence in this country. I, of course,
intended that statement to be taken in a larger, sociological sense. Evidently you didn't grasp the
import of it. Or, would you dispute that, since as members of this society, we all have a hand in
the development and direction of it - the good and the bad? Or are YOU, perhaps, above it all?
Further, I don't really think that you can defend the statement about the anti-gun elements 'taking
a mile, if we give them an inch' - as anything but overgeneralizing. Certainly your assertion that
"blaming the innocent for the actions of the guilty is typical leftist thinking" cannot be characterized
as anything but an overgeneralization. Since you are obviously not a "leftist", how would you know
what IS typical leftist thinking ?
As for choosing what side I am on.... I will continue to be on the side of responsible gun owners who are not irrationally terrified of any and all regulation. The future of gun ownership in this country (whether for "hobby" purposes or for purposes of the "great survivalist war", which you, perhaps, fervently believe is coming... or are looking forward to) unfortunately, in all probability, hinges on some additional (hopefully reasonable) regulation -to make a dent in the problem of easy gun availability to criminals.
By the way, I never advocated penalizing law abiding citizens for anything. If you are, in fact, a law-abiding citizen.... and a responsible gun owner/user.... then I must ask.... what are you afraid of ? Come now, you can't actually believe that it is even politically POSSIBLE for the evil government to confiscate all of your guns, can you? Perhaps you are only just worried about the illegal ones in your collection, yes? The purpose of gun-control efforts should be to remove guns
from the hands of criminals.... and to thereby reduce the level of gun violence in this wonderful
nation of ours. Do you not agree that this is a worthy goal ? If it is, then how would that be accomplished without some controls ? Or, perhaps, you would rather we just have a "wild west"
sort of society.... all of us "packing heat" at all times, ready to take out anyone who crosses us ?
I would remind you and others that, before a criminal becomes as such, there is NO way to tell
whether an individual might go that way in life. With no (or very few regulations), it just makes
it that much easier for those that choose "the dark side" to obtain the tools of their trade. I would
further remind you that ALL of the guns in the hands of criminals came from somewhere. They
are not being manufactured by some underground, evil gun company, expressly for the criminal
market. In fact, those guns come from legitimate sources.... due to inadequate regulations (and
as you alluded - to inadequate enforcement of existing laws). Since we, as a society, have not
seemingly found a legal solution yet, to these issues, is it not at least POSSIBLE that the laws need some tweaking ? Or, as you assert, is the problem is only that existing laws/regulations are not
being enforced? Really, the "rightists" (as opposed to "leftists" like me) have been in power for
some time now... (the White House, as well as a majority in both houses of Congress). If they
(you) have all of the answers (better enforcement of existing laws) - then, why haven't they
moved to increase enforcement of these laws ? Could it be that this is, perhaps, not the total
solution.... (and most reasonable people recognize this)? Hmm, food for thought.
I wonder, also, why you wish to blame "the most anti-gun President in history" (I assume that
you mean Clinton) for what is happening NOW. Unless I am very much mistaken, I believe that
it is Mr. Bush, not Mr. Clinton, that is currently the President..... and has been for three-plus years.
So, why have we no perfect solutions, which in no way affect law-abiding gun owners, such as
yourself ? Is it that the "Assault Weapons Ban" has caused all of this mayhem ? Perhaps if we
issue fully-automatic Kalashnikovs to all of the trully GOOD gun owners (you can be first in line) -
you guys can go out and kick some criminal butt - and save us all. Thank God for Rambo (driftrider) !
Again, I wish to make it clear: I am NOT now (and never have) advocated penalizing responsible, law-abiding citizens (by confiscating their guns or any other draconian measures).
(After all, if that were to happen, I would lose my guns as well.) I am only asserting that, in the
real world of today (which is where I live, driftrider.... where do you reside?)... some additional
regulations regarding guns MAY be needed, in order to effect a solution to the problem of guns
in the hands of the criminal population. If by this, it becomes necessary to cause me to have to
accept a "waiting period".... or, perhaps, register my guns with the police, or even, accept a
limitation on the magazine capacity (or indeed the type) of weapon I may purchase... then, as
long as those regulations are REASONABLE (oops, there's that horrible word again)... I would
consider it an acceptable price to pay for saving lives and protecting our children's future (in-
cluding, I might add, YOUR children, driftrider).
You challenged me, driftrider, to find one gun-control law or regulation on the books that has
reduced crime. Well, as you know, that is impossibly broad and statistically not provable. I, too,
would like to challenge you. Can you prove that allowing citizens ownership of guns (even CCW
regulations, as you seem to support) - has ever reduced crime, either ? No, no, I am not referring
to anecdotal evidence ("well, my brother Harvey knew this guy that...") or simply the opinion of
gun owners like me or you.... or, for that matter, the OPINIONS expressed in the essays which
you were so keen for me to read. I am referring to hard facts, as you seem to demand from me.
Well, I will answer my own question. Of course, you CAN'T offer any such proof.
So, where does that lead us ? You can't prove that gun-control doesn't work.... and I cannot
prove that it does. Hmm, whatever are we to do ? I am merely in favor of TRYING.... and making
the attempt to compromise - so to effect some improvement in the situation. I do not accept that
that is an unreasonable (or, automatically "leftist") point of view.
I would further assert that, if we as citizens do not like the policies of our own government,
we do, ultimately have the power to change that government. As for Smith & Wesson, boycott
them as you will. It is, as they say, a free country. I am neither in favor of, nor against, Smith &
Wesson and their policies. I am simply not willing to brand them (or anyone else) as "sell-outs"
without due evidence as to the end-result of their policies.
Have a nice day.