HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - recoil
Thread: recoil
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 12:48 AM
Christine B
Super Moderator

Default RE: recoil

Barring prior injury, and provided one has the fundamentals of rifle construction/set up/fit and the techniques for handling higher recoil firearms covered (most folks just shoot "out of the box" and do not address any of them), then the issue of felt recoil and one's ability to handle felt recoil varies almost entirely by the individual's mental state and attitude.
As the ole saying goes, "It's hard to remember that you're there to drain the swamp, when you're up to your rear in alligators." My suggestion, as others have said, if you can't shoot because of flinching (pain), shoot something that don't hurt you.
Good posts IMO.....Also for those that have a flinch problem, with practice that can be fixed. I feel pretty sure that ELKampMaster knows well the training it takes to avoid flinch. Flinch is nothing to be ashamed of, and very common. Also is infact an initial reflex action....it takes training and range time to overcome. My late dad who was a military lifer taught me when I was young to avoid flinch by dry firing if there was a problem.... to avoid that reflex reaction. Thankfully I was what dad called a "natural" Some do not care for that method...So.... Shoot targets in off season and practice...that way you know that, you can do what is needed when you have to take that shot. Respect the animal, and even though you know you have one in the pipe, and more in the chamber.......Make one shot count please!