HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - interested in recurves
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 10:05 AM
lcoast

Default RE: interested in recurves

You are going about it the right way. You may want to look for a shoot where vendors gather and try different bows or a local trad club where the guys will let ya fling a few.

Basically the longer the bow the smoother and more forgiving. The Olympic folks use long recurves for a reason.

You are goint to end up drawing somewhere between 28" and 29' for your draw length but no way aree you gonna shoot a 70 pound recurve well. I would recommend ya find a nice 45 pounder and work on your form and then move up in weight. Bows that are too heavy breed bad habits.

I pull 28.5 inches and i much prefer a recurve 64 inches than a 60 inch recurve. I hunt and have found that ther ain't much difference dragging 60 inches or 66 inches throught the brush. Guys who use blinds or treestands though prefer short bows. Shooting off a horse is better with a shorter bow.

Anyway, there are a ton ov variables but ya gotta start somewhere. You will find that your preferences morph over time.

I would seconfd the tradgang and womenoutdoors vote. Some reasonable deals at both places.

=keith=