HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who is the best hunter here?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Straightarrow

Default RE: Who is the best hunter here?

The best hunter, bar none, that I know is my brother.... but then... he doesn't visit these boards.
I was going to say the exact same thing. My brother has a wall with a long line of pope and young bucks. I know that taking lots of big bucks, does not necessarily mean you're a good hunter (at least in some areas). However, these were all taken from an area where only about 10% of the bucks make it to 2.5 years of age. In addition, bow season is only about one month each year, and you can only take one buck. Each year, he passes on anywhere from 20 to 40 immature bucks that come within his shooting range, so he can have an opportunity of getting a far more wary mature whitetail. When you see a guy repeatedly taking mature bucks in an area that is known for not having mature bucks, you know he got some skills.

Unfortunately, I have no personal knowledge of anyone's hunting ability who posts on these boards. I've seen some photos of nice bucks that were taken, but who knows if it was skill, luck or just the fact that they hunted in an area that provided more opportunities for larger animals. Each of us can think of someone we know is a very good hunter, but we have no way of knowing who is the best on an internet site.