HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Strategy for tight lipped Gobblers
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Bobgobble2
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strategy for tight lipped Gobblers

Charlie,
S&R gives great advice if your able to locate the roost.
In my opinion the best thing to do on these henned up situations is grab youself a good buttseat and put yourself in a position you know they frequent daily and wait em out.Obviously preseason scouting pays big dividends here but your ability to read sign during your season can clue you in on where birds are spending alot of time.I've hunted turks for years and more often times than not when a gobbler hits the ground and stops gobbling guys make the mistake of legging it through there turkey woods boogering everything up,in which most cases spooking birds they dont even see!Turkey sign doesn't lie but tells a true story when the birds aren't in sight.In most cases wherever the hens go the gobbler follows.If the birds aren't all boogered up those hens will return to those favorite feeding/watering/nesting/roosting/dusting, areas and you should be waiting for them.I like to get in these areas,set-up well camo'd but in a good position to see,and swing my gun,and call about twice an hour using soft yelps,clucks,and purrs.Obviously this isn't the most exciting way to turkey hunt,but it has put numerous longbeards in my vest,and when your sitting there half asleep to all the sudden recognize thats spit-n-drumming your hearing those quiet woods really weren't so quiet afterall!!!