HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Strategy for tight lipped Gobblers
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Charlie P
Boone & Crockett

Default Strategy for tight lipped Gobblers

What's your strategy on birds that are henned up.I have located a couple of strutting zones and know basically where birds are roosting.

Last friday night my son and I watched a bird strut in a power line for about 45 minutes.There were two hens with this Tom. One went to roost with him the other stayed lower. Saw where he went to roost and then got him to gobble a couple times. The next morning we set up about 80 yards from the roosted Tom he was with a hen.We set up between the bird and the hen he wasn't with. Gave hime a tree yelp he gobbled once.When he flew down he went the other way.Basically the woods went silent by 6:30 until about 10:45,when I heard a Tom gobble on top of a dog barking.Was able to work him in to about 80 yards yelping,clucking and purring didn't get really aggresive.

Been out a couple times this week and the gobbling has decreased.We had a cold front come through,wet and cold.Tomorrow they are calling for a low of 39 and a high of 51.

So what do you guys do when they are henned up bad?I plan on putting a bird to bed tonight and setting up on him in the morning.If that doesn't work out-

A.should I stay in an area I know the birds have been frequenting alot. Make some soft calls and be patient.

B.Work the ridge tops calling every 100 yards or so.

C.Set up where I saw this Tom strutting last week,set up decoys and get aggresive.

D.Something I havent thought of?