HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mock Scrapes
Thread: Mock Scrapes
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2004, 11:21 AM
shed33
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mock Scrapes

Adams,

I use the forehead gland on licking branches year around. Why, because when a buck works a licking branch he often rubs his forehead on it too and they do this year around. I have watched bucks in my areas work these branches with both their mouths and foreheads during the spring, summer and fall. I hope this answers your ? as to why I use it year around. As for mock "rubs", I start them around August 30th, like you said, right when the bucks start rubbing and shedding their velvet.

I start my mock scrapes up as early as June, but like you are doing I know of several hunters that have started them in March and April. I talk to Kevin Kreh, owner of BuckFever Synthetics, quite often and he has had deer respond very early like you are as well. I would say the biggest reason I don't start them as early as you are is because this time of the year I am shed hunting most of these areas and I dont want to associate my human scent with a mock scrape. When I do put in a mock scrape I wear rubber boots, scent lok, rubber gloves and am really clean and sprayed down with vanishing hunter. IS THIS A MUST? I can't say for sure, Its a personal choice for me.....but it makes me feel confident I am not associating human scent with my setup.

Good luck !

Shed

I used forehead gland scent on mock rubs...last season on this guy... Labor day weekend.. he had just shed his velvet and stopped to check out the NEW rubs I introduced very near his bedding area.