HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mock Scrapes
Thread: Mock Scrapes
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2004, 08:50 AM
adams

Default Mock Scrapes

This year I've decided to start some mock scrapes early to see if I can get the deer in my aera into a pattern. I've read much on the subject and finally figured I waste enough money on hunting whats another 20$. I made 8 or 9 scrapes on two diffrent properties. Some were new, meaning I picked the site and a couple were traditional sites used in past years. I went to one of the properties last night to check out the scrapes and see if there was any activity.

WoW I placed 4 scrapes on the proberty. Two were "traditional" and two were "new". Both traditional sites were active. The ground wasn't ripped up but they were clean(no debris in them) and there were numerous tracks in them. One of the new sites had seen little activity but was clean. The other new scrape which is located between an active seasonal brook that runs into swamp on the edge of an open meadow and a thicket bordering the swamp(basically in a Honey hole) had an obvious new run cutting the muddy soil from the thicket to the scrape. The scrape wasn't really tore up but again there were numerous tracks in it and the trail heading to it looked like an interstate freeway.

I am using Buck Fever pre/post rut and am shocked by the results so far. I need to buy another 8oz bottle to freshen up the scrapes in a few more weeks. They suggest to freshen up every 1.5 to 2 months. The scent is also supposed to "reactivate" after rain because of it synthetic make up. I'd love to get a game cam on these sites to see what is there. That may have to be my next investment.

I just thought I'd share what I've found and am interseted if anyone else has started scrapes this early in the year and with what results.
For any of you that are interested I will keep you posted on future activities. I will be checking the other property over the weekend and I'll update what is found there as well.