HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - so close, but so far away
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 05:33 PM
smoothsteve

Default so close, but so far away

It was great......I will start from the beganing. I got there, and me and travis went to go roost the birds. The only thing is that the weather was crap, and when it is crap, the birds usually shut up, and dont want to gobble. So we heard nothing and decided that in the mornignwe were going to try it anyway. We got there, and there was no sighn of birds anywere. We walked under a cedar tree t take a breather, when all of a sudden we both look to our lefts, and see four big toms struttin. we set up and start callin. nothin happend. we move to another position, and got a gobble out of them, but that was it....the whole day they stay about 100 yards away. We end at 1pm, cause thats when you have too, and went to get lunch. Later that night we try to go roost a bird, but nothing again. So moring comes around...we walk out into the field and find a nice place to set up a blind we decided to use. We start calling......an hour passes and nothing happens. Then we call and we here a gobble...its pretty far away. We reply to it, and it gets closer and closer and closer......and finaly we see four toms...most likely the same ones from yesterday....they come runnign in and then stop. The stay 70 yards away. Why they stayed 70 yards. welll they saw the blind, and knew that it was different then what is usually there. They leave., so we decide to persue on foot. we called them back up, but they wont come to us.......they wanted us to go to them, becaeu they thought that we were a hen...

The littlest tom was about 18 pounds, and the biggest was about 21 or 22.........i am going back on the 7th to get them...hpefully

i know that i almost every word is spelled wrong...i am in a hurry to go to bed..bye

hope you can understand what i wrote