HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 338 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2004, 11:11 AM
RDJ
Spike

Default 338 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby

I am interested in comparing the accuracy of the 338 Win Mag vs the 300 Weatherby. If I buy the 338, it will more than likely be a Sako 75 SS. As for the 300 Wtby I would consider the Sako or the Accumark. Both are pricey, but I decided that with my next gun price would not be an issue, I just want the best gun I can get for moose and elk hunting. I currently have a 7mm Rem Mag and will never get rid of this gun. It has shot plenty of bull elk for me, but I thought I would try something bigger for those 400-500 yard shots that sometimes have to be made. I realize that within 300 yards the 338 will be just as effective as a 300 weatherby, but I sometimes worry about the accuracy of the 338 when we get into the 400-500 yard range. I have no doubt about it's knockdown ability at that range, but as I mentioned, is the accuracy as dependable as the 300 weatherby at that range? I also worry about the freebore in the weatherby. Will this affect the accuracy? Especially if I am not handloading and will have to buy the expensive weatherby factory ammo. Just to throw more into the mix for comparisons, I have also been looking at the 300 remington ultra mag lately and find it's ballistics very comparable to weatherby, however I am not sure if I want a Remington rifle. But the Sendero sounds like an impressive rifle that may rival the Sako and Weatherby. I would consider this calibre in the Sako, but I have heard that Sako is no longer making the 300 RUM. All feedback is appreciated.