HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ok, so what do you guys think of m77's?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:00 AM
Detroit Jay

Default RE: ok, so what do you guys think of m77's?

I own a M77MKI from 1975 and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own. It is a 300 win magnum but I can shoot 1.25" 5 shot 100 yd groups all day long(actualy about 20 shots is all my shoulder can handle). The nice thing about these guns is that the screws that mount the stock to the reciever and barrel are on an angle. So you usually dont need to bed the gun.

Personaly I would Not buy a varmint gun used unless I knew the guy who shot it. How many rounds have been shot through it?? Most rifles that constitantly shoot over 3000 fps will wear barrels out faster(around 2000-3000 rounds is not unusual VS 5000 typicaly on standard rifle). Most varmint caliber shooters now use moly coated bullets to extend the life of the barrel. 25 years ago moly bullets were rarely used.

I usually say suport your local gun dealer but you can get a brand new M77MKII with a 24"barel for $460 at Walmart. If you want to upgrade to the Target model 26" heavy barrel Laminated stock its $575. Walmart will order a gun for you. Ask to see the special order catalog.( the only thing I dont like about Walmart is that they will NOT sell you ammo and a gun at the same time. My local Walmart also walkes you to your car and watches you drive away.)

Ruger gives you free 1" medium rings with thier rifles. Then if you want you can buy an Timney trigger for around $80. You didnt say if the gun came with a scope or not? For the price I wouldnt buy used unless you were getting it real cheap. I am still looking for a varmint gun and debateing between 220 swift, 22-250, 6mm remington, or 243 wssm.

Good Luck
Jay