HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has this happened to you.
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2004, 12:28 PM
tnichols

Default RE: Has this happened to you.

Sure have on the biggest gobbler I had ever seen in my life. It happened in Missouri 7 years ago. I had been hunting this old bird for 3 years. He had been shot before because he walked with a limp. This bird would tip the scale at almost 30 pounds. Called him in right after a thunderstorm, I was setup in a brush pile out in the middle of a field. Had 2 decoys out and he popped his head up out of a bottom. He moved cautiously to the decoys. I could tell he was skittish, the decoys were out at 25 yards, he approached them and started circling around them out of range. I took the shot @ 38 yards( I stepped it off) I was shooting Mossberg 835 w/ Kicks Gobblin thunder turkey choke. Shell 3.5 Winchester #5. Well to make a long story short I nailed him and the bird did 2 flips got up and flew off.....I could'nt fricking believe my eyes. I rolled the bird!!! He flew up on a ridge and I looked for him for a couple hours, did'nt even find a feather. My father-in-law picked my up in his truck and we were heading back to the farm and lo and behold the darn Tom I just shot was standing in the road struttin for a couple of hens. When we stopped to watch him he looked right at us and gobbled his head off as to say to me up your!!! [8D] He must have had a a flak jacket on or something. Needless to say I think the old boy died of old age or lead poising. Turkeys like that keep me coming back each spring. I wish Hevi-shot was around then, I know he would have been in the turkey fryer that thanksgiving.