HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what i think is a trophy
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 09:16 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what i think is a trophy

John unfortunately what you saw happens and is not because the guy is a trophy hunter it is more he needs to feel superior than other around him, probably the same guy that wouldn't know a book deer when he saw it. Equally unfortunate is the fact that there many people in this world that need to belittle to make themselves feel happy or good about there choices. Personally I have no room for this behaviour and would have reacted by confronting him as well. I may be considered or dawned with a trophy hunter label as I set certain standards and would rather shoot a doe or hang my tag on the wall then notch it on a immature buck, but at the same token I will never look down my nose or belittle another hunter for there choice as long as they are satisfied/happy with the harvest, same said if they consider it a trophy that is really all the matters. While we may have different views on what makes a trophy we are all doing it for our own enjoyment, which is the most important underlying factor.

I would just caution anyone who hunts for other reason than horns not do yourself the injustice and lump all of us into the category of this loser in John's story. Trophy hunters are no different than meat hunters, we all have our reasons, standards and we do so to challenge ourselves...there are loser in each group but to lump or assume is no better than what this fella did you have gone on the offensive to give reason for your choice, a personal choice I might add that I think only needs to be justified with in oneself not be accepted by others!!!!